Weaving Home Industry
Weaving is a tradition in NTT, including in Belu district.
It is inherited from their ancestor, but now the young people disregard it. The young people prefer to use modern wear, which is produced by modern machine and the clothes had to be bought from outside their villages/districts.
The weaving program, will concerve and revitalize this tradition and also it could become an income generating program by selling the products to the tourist, who are increasingly coming to this area.
Through this activities we encourage the young women in Belu district, to learn and practice the weaving, so they can produce a good quality products.
The products could be used for traditional ceremony , but could also be used for daily clothes, in their home and for their daily activities outside their home.
The weaving products is expecting to be the income generating program, because the price of the products is very high and it is highly interested by the tourist.
Beside weaving, the women were also trained in knitting/crochet, so they can produce and sell it too.
II. The activities
The training was given to 20 women, member of “Eco Laudata Si” women group of Kuneru parish.
The fascilitators are the weaving expert either from the district and from Jakarta.
The training was conducted in FSGM Sister Convent in Kuneru village, on March 6-10, 2018 (5 days).
After the training, they starting to make weaving products. The yarn was supplied by friend of Sister Margaretha FSGM in Denpasar/Bali.
III. The result.
The weaving products were showed and presented during Atambua diocese’s festival on October, 4 – 6, 2018. Their products were sold in that event. In that event, each member could earn IDR 50,000 to 250,000.
They also tried to put their offer through internet and the people in the city of Jakarta have interested on it and some have ordered it by online.
IV. Future action:
1. The weaving activities need dilligency and hard working people. So the group should be able maintain this spirit.
2. The weaving activities need time and do it patiently. The group should also be able to maintain this persistent attitude.
3. The weaving activities need yarn, which should be bought from outside the district. The group should collaborate with other group from outside the district to get the good quality yarn with low price.
4. The manufacture of weaving need a market. So the group should collaborate with other group outside the district to ensure the market for selling the products. The online marketing should be encouraged, since this type of marketing is an for opportunity for selling the product worldwide.
The program will be sustainable, since the program is benefit for the group member and also for their parish community. They have collaboration with other group outside the district, for supplying the yarn and for marketing their products.
The accompaniement by FSGM sister will be continued, since the FSGM sister convent is located in Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT Province.
Several villages in Belu district, usually suffer from shortage of food, several months in a year, due to lack of local food, such as rice or cassava and yam.
This shortage of food will cause the the young people to seek work outside their province, even going abroad.
The FSGM Sister community in Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT province, collaborate with PERDHAKI through “Eco Laudato Si“ women empowerment group, encourage the parish community to cultivate the sorgum in their beglected land. The Sorgum farming will increase their food stock in their villages.
II. The program :
- Socialization seminar on sorgum plantation.
The sosialization seminar was conducted on :
a. Time : November 4, 2018.
b. Place : In the FSGM convent house, Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT province.
c. Participant : 20
d. Fascilitator : Father Firminus Dai Koban Pr, a sorgum farmer from East Flores district.
e. Purpose :
- To give information on how to grow sorgum plantation.
- To encourage people to use their neglected land for plant and growing sorgum, for their food stock.
- To inform the people that a lot of healthy foods could be made from sorgum, either consuming for their main food or for increasing their health.
2. Planting of the sorgum.
The participants got sorgum seed from Father Firminus Gai Koban, to be planted in the month of December 2018 to January 2019. The group member planted it on the neglcted land near to their house.
III. The result.
The sorgum was harvested after 3 months. The harvest was quite a lot : every member who planted 0,5 kg sorgum seed, was harvesting about 40 kg of sorgum.
Although the quantity is big, however the quality is low: the grain/cereal was thin. It was because of too many water on the farm ,during that months, due to rainny season.
They could make a lot of foods, from the sorgum, such as main food (to replave rice), sorgum porridge, sorgum cake, etc. They found out that it was all delicious food.
IV. Future action.
The second planting will be done on next March-April 2019. They hope more sorgum will be harvested and with good quality.
After the next harvest, the group is planning to share the sorgum seed to other poor house hold in the parish , so the poor household in their parish will have suficient food in the future.
They also plan to share the sorgum seed to all poor household in other parishes, in Belu district, NTT Province. So the poor people in this district will have enough food.
The program will be sustainable since it is benefitting the group member to prevent the shortage of food.
The accompaniement by FSGM Sister will be continued, since the FSGM Sister live and stay in Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT Province.
Community Empowerment Through Pig Live Stock Breeding
Pig is high value live stock in NTT province. It is used in their ritual ceremonies, especially during the wedding and the death of their family member. They need pig also for other event, such as “first communion” ceremony. Therefore, the price of pig is very high and the community has to buy this live stock for the ceremonies.
The prequisite are :
- The people should set up a group of house hold who will responsible for the breeding of the pig.
- Each house hold will get free one female pig, a 2 months age pig.
- After 8 to 12 months, she has to be mated with a chosen male pig.
- After they have child pig, they have to share the new female child pig to other house hold from the same parish.
- They are not allow to sell the mother pig. They may only sell the child pig, and if they have already shared one female child pig to other household.
- They have to build a stall next to their house, for raising the pigs.
- They have to find and collect the local plantation for composing good and healthy food for their pigs.
- They have to be trained and accompanied on how to vaccinate the pig, how to give medicine or vitamin, how to prepare the food for the pig, how to serach and bring the male mate pig, etc.
- The activities.
Two groups in 2 parihes was established in 2017.
There were 18 group members in Wedomu parish and 20 group members in Sadi parish. The member was the poor household in the 2 parishes.
Each group member got free one female pig.
The training and the accompaniement was done by a FSGM sister who live in a FSGM convent in Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT , in cooperation with the parish priest.
III. The result.
During the evaluation visit on March 27-28, 2019 (2 years since the beginning of the program), we found out the result as follows :
- The groups are very active and dynamic. They meet together, at least once in every month, to discuss their common problem and interest. They regularly shared valuable information and knowledge, and also developing activities together, including the income generating program.
- They have shared their baby pig to other member group. The Wedamu parish group had resulting 8 baby pigs born and share them to other household in same parish and the Sida parish group had resulting 12 baby pigs born and share to other household in Sida parish.
- By sharing the baby pigs to new households, the member group in Wedamu parish was extend from formerly 18 members to become 26 members and in Sida parish was increase from formerly 20 members was extended to become 32 members.
- The group member have their own inisiative to extend the pig stall, from formerly small stall now become larger stall to accomodate the inceasingly number of the pigs.
- The group member earn money from selling the pigs, for paying their children school fee or pay the hospital/clinic fee if their family member was sick.
- They didn’t have to buy pig, if they need it for the ritual ceremony.
- Further and follow up action.
- They should maintain the cleanliness of the pig stall, in order to prevent any disease affect their pigs.
- They have to ensure,that their female pigs should be mated with male pig at the proper time , including to search and to chose the good and healthy male pig.
- They should maintain the sufficient and good quality food for their pigs.
- In the future, all poor household in these 2 parishes are expected to have pig livestock for increasing their income.
- This program is expected to be able to be duplicated to other parishes where there are a lot of poor households.
The program will be sustainable, because the program have benefit for their group members. They could earn money from raising and selling the pigs.
The FSGM Sister who accompany the group stay and live in Kuneru village, Belu district, NTT Province. The village is located near the parishes.
HIV Prevention Through Poverty Alleviation
The HIV incidence in NTT province is sharply increasing in the past 5 years. The higest incidence is the house-wife category, for about 30% of the cases. Belu district is one of the highest HIV incidence district.
Through the root cause analysis, we found that the house-wive was infected by her husbands who work as illegal migrant workers abroad.
Since more than ten years ago, the young adult from the villages in NTT (including from Belu district) working abroad, mostly as illegal workers, who have no access to proper health care services, either for curative treatment or for disease prevention.
The flow of young adult seeking money from abroad is due the poverty, there is no job in their villages, and sometime also no food, etc.
The income generating program run by Perdhaki and FSGM Sisters, which is funded by Central Fransiscannes Germanny, is the effort for poverty alleviation in Belu district.
The program is aimed to increase the income of people through 3 main activities : pig livestock, sorgum farming and weaving home industry.
In the begining, Sister Margaretha FSGM (Perdhaki’s HIV program officer) met with the Bischop of Attambua, describing the planning to empower village women through income generating program. The Bischop fully support the program and asking the priests to support the implementation of the program.
The program was starting in Kuneru village, Belu district (where the FSGM sister community stay), by initiating women organizations and empowering them through trainings and guidances. The training and guidance was conducted by FSGM sister in local parish and assisted by Perdhaki and experts from outside Belu/NTT.
The group consisting of about 20 women, who organize themself, by electing the board member, regular meeting and organizing training.
The specific activities are as follows :
- Pig livestock program.
- Sorgum farming activities.
- Weaving home industry activities.
Please see attachments for detailed narrative activities and picture of activities.
Four women groups had been set up and organized by themself : two groups conducting pig live stock program, one group conducting sorgum farming program and one group conducting weaving home industry.
Through these programs, they have earned some money for their children’s education and got some food for their daily life.
The pig live stock group’s member have been extended, so more house holds got benefit from this program.
Through these programs, the young adults in this district are not instanly following the “brokers” who seek them for illegal migrant workers. They have good alternative for earning money, other than becoming illegal migrant workers.
By the decreasing illegal migrant workers, it is hoping that the HIV transmission in this district will be also decreasing.
However, this program is conducting only in 3 parishes of Belu district. There are more than 50 parishes in this district and there are more than 20 districs in NTT province. So, the result in decreasing HIV incidence in the whole Belu district (and in the whole NTT province) is not yet significant.
This program is a first step of a great effort, that should be extended and duplicating to other parishes, to achieve significant result.
Peringatan Hari Orang Sakit Sedunia di Klinik Pratama Stella Maris
Linggang Bigung, Kutai Barat
KUTAI BARAT – Klinik Pratama Stella Maris merayakan Hari Orang sakit Sedunia yang ke-27 pada hari Senin, 11 Februari 2019, thema Bermurah hatilah, dengan mengadakan perayaan Ekaristi yang dipimpin oleh pastor paroki St.Yohanes Penginjil Linggang Melapeh, RP. Blasius Baene, SVD, didampinggi RP. Hendrik Nuwa, SVD, RP. Frederikus Pareira, SVD dan RD. Sam Anyeq Tadeus Pr, serta membagikan kado pada seluruh pasien rawat inap serta pasien lansia yang sering berobat ke klinik yang diundang dalam acara ini, mereka difasilitasi kendaraan operasional klinik dan susteran PRR untuk dijemput dan diantar pulang setelah misa selesai. Kegiatan ini merupakan kegiatan rutin tahunan klinik swasta Katolik di bawah naungan Yayasan Santa Maria Lourdes Larantuka milik Konggregasi PRR. Menurut pimpinan klinik, Sr Emmanuella PRR, tujuan dari perayaan ini adalah untuk memberikan perhatian khusus kepada orang – orang sakit. Dengan adanya perayaan Hari Orang Sakit Sedunia diharapkan mampu memberikan kekuatan spiritual yang diperbarui agar Klinik Kesehatan Katolik semakin fokus mengamalkan pelayanan kaum miskin, lemah, menderita, dan tersingkirkan sesuai dengan Visi Klinik Yaitu menjadi klinik katolik yang berkomitmen pada kehidupan didasari semangat Yesus Kristus hamba Yahwe dan Maria bunda Allah. Dengan motto “senyum sapa kasihmu menyembuhkan aku”. (Oleh: dr. M.C. Yosinta Djoka)
Masalah Gizi di Indonesia mencapai kondisi yang memerlukan perhatian yang sangat serius. Hal ini disebabkan oleh karena masalah gizi dan akibatnya mengenai semua kelompok umur, mulai dari remaja, ibu hamil, bayi, anak, dewasa dan lansia. Yang menjadi perhatian saat ini adalah bahwa ternyata masalah gizi yang terjadi sejak masa dalam kandungan dan 2 tahun pertama kehidupan mempunyai dampak serius yang akibatnya seringkali terbawa sampai usia dewasa. Akibat dari kekurangan gizi pada masa dini tersebut, atau 1000 hari pertama kehidupan, selain akan menyebabkan anak tumbuh pendek (stunting), anak juga akan mengalami hambatan pertumbuhan otak dan organ tubuh lainnya, sehingga menyebabkan kurang optimalnya perkembangan kecerdasan.
Oleh karena itu, upaya perbaikan gizi harus dimulai sejak remaja, terutama remaja puteri, karena merekalah yang akan mengandung dan mengasuh generasi penerus bangsa. Salah satu upaya yang strategis adalah melalui perbaikan pengetahuan, sikap dan praktek gizi siswa di institusi pendidikan berbasis agama, termasuk pesantren, dan Lembaga keagamaan lainnya.
PERDHAKI dengan dukungan dari PDGMI dan PT Otsuka Indonesia, telah melakukan kerjasama dengan Perdhaki Wilayah Jabar – Banten untuk melakukan pelatihan pelatih sedemikian rupa, agar mereka kemudian menjadi pelatih yang dapat melakukan penyuluhan dan mengubah pengetahuan, sikap dan praktek bagi remaja yang ada di wilayah binaan
INFORMASI RAPIM RS
PERDHAKI akan menyelenggarakan Rapat Pimpinan Rumah Sakit (RAPIM RS) dengan tema Mengembangkan keunggulan pelayanan Rumah Sakit di era “disruptif”
Bertempat di Makassar tanggal 25-28 Juli 2019. Informasi lebih lanjut akan diberitahukan kemudian.
Seluruh staff, karyawan dan pengurus PERDHAKI mengucapkan Selamat Hari Raya Natal dan Tahun Baru 2019.
Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia memberikan apresiasi serta ucapan terima kasih kepada relawan yang telah mengabdi dalam penanggulangan krisis kesehatan di Provinsi Nusa Tenggara Barat. Pada acara Hari Kesehatan Nasional telah dberikan piagam penghargaan secara simbolis kepada perwakilan lembaga. Dr. Felix Gunawan mewakili PERDHAKI, hadir sebagai salah satu penerima piagam yang diberikan pada Kamis, 8 November 2018 bertempat di Indonesian Convention Exhibition (ICE BSD) Jl. BSD Grand Boulevard No. I, BSD City, Tanggerang, Banten.